Marooned on an overgrown planet choked with forest and wildlife, you’re forced to hack out your existence by the sharpness of your axe. Creatures of legend and folklore, their shapes dart between the darkened trees. You can’t help but tremble as their unwholesome howls fill the night.
Your characters begin the game as prisoners aboard a transport spaceship who have recently awoken from long-term hibernation. In the prologue scenario, the prison transport ship crashes on a densely wooded planet inhabited by unnatural fearsome critters of American lumberjack folklore. The horror is compounded by the fact that waking up from such an extended period of hibernation can do strange things to the mind.
Welcome to Fearsome Wilderness
It’s funny how quickly life can change.
Take what just happened to you. You were peacefully hibernating in suspended animation, your prison sentence on pause, while civilization figured out what to do with you in its increasingly overpopulated communities.
Your hopes of one day waking up in utopia were dashed as you found yourself groggy and aboard a dingy prison transport ship, handcuffed, bound for a penal colony planet called Xanathia.
There were no miraculous technological advancements solving the woes of overpopulation. No newfound resources or means of sustaining humanity’s addiction to consumption. And there were certainly no amnesty agreements made for lowlife prisoners like yourself. Before entering hibernation, you’d felt a keen despair and sense of loss. You doubted you’d ever walk free again. It seemed that may have been true.
Then just as suddenly, the spaceship starts to plummet. Sirens and alarms blare and red lights flash all around the interior as guards race through the aisles shouting. The descent grows more rapid–screams fill the air as your spaceship plummets towards the ground. Out the window, a tranquil wilderness seems to welcome you with an ever so subtle smirk.
Fearsome Wilderness: The Roleplaying Game Includes:
- A player-centric, story driven experience
- Easy rules based off the Year Zero Engine
- 16 different Character Archetypes to choose from
- A world map to explore with hexagons designating Sectors in the wilderness
- A prologue scenario which introduces players to the characters and setting
- 12 location scenarios that include story elements, mysteries to investigate, NPCs to interact with, maps to explore, as well as a countdown of events and hooks to lead the characters on their adventure
- One major plot twist which leads the characters to a climatic 2-part ending scenario
- 25 fearsome critters that players may encounter in the wilderness each with their own unique stats, descriptions, weaknesses, and attack styles
- 36 interaction nightmares for players to experience while unconscious, along with unique rules associated with the characters’ Nightmare Levels and instructions to create your own nightmare encounters
- Over 50 potential projects to upgrade your shelter
- Quick reference charts and general information about wildlife, animal threats, hunting, fishing, foraging, trapping, filtering water, starting a fire, and many more details to inspire your wilderness survival roleplaying
- An easy guide to randomly generate wilderness Sectors offering limitless possibilities
Hardcover, over 250 pages.
Written by Matt Cross and Ian Baaske
Design and Layout by Matt Cross
Art by Willis Harrower, Bud Wheeler, Johan Aberg,
Juan Francisco Fonseca Hernández, and Tony Midi